Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pansies are so Pretty


I had this canvas sitting around doing nothing.  Well, I couldn't let that happen, could I?  So, I added a layer of gesso followed by numerous layers of paint, stain, modeling paste.  After that I was stumped.  It sat on my shelf, mocking me as if to say, "You can't finish me.  Nananana boo boo!"

Yesterday, I played some more, adding some of Tim Holtz's metallic stains and paints along with some Dylusions stains. Then it appeared that the canvas was taking on a decidedly purple and pink tone.  So off to my favorite place for vintage photos, The Old Design Shop, to look for ... I didn't know.  So I added purple to the search box.  When I saw this picture, I knew it had to be the one!  My mom loved pansies. She said that they looked like they had little faces.

The rest just fell together.  I wanted to finish it last night, but there were other more important things on my agenda.  This afternoon, I went "shopping" in my newly organized craft space for lots of doodads and flowers.  (It sure pays to make up flowers in advance!)  Within an hour, it was finished.  I am so happy with how it turned out!

UPDATE!:  I had this idea to make some of the pansies 3D, so I printed more copies and did just that!


And here are two closeups of the flowers:



I am entering it into Simon Says Stamp's I Ought to Use This More challenge.  Considering that I found some goodies in boxes that I had completely forgotten, I guess I really should use the items more!


sig3new

4 comments:

  1. Lovely canvas! Your mom was right too, pansies do seem to have little faces! :) Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an absolutely delightful creation! I'm so glad that you were able to "show it who's boss" and not let it continue to sit there on the shelf mocking you! :) I could really relate to your post: sometimes these projects really do seem like they're fighting us every step of the way, but I'm so glad you didn't give up! I adore the yummy colors you blended for the background and the texture you added looks great, too. I think the pansies were a perfect theme to introduce and it's always nice when a piece reminds us of our mothers! The dimensional flowers are simply gorgeous and the whole thing has a lovely magical ethereal vibe. It made me think of fairies and springtime and I thoroughly enjoyed both your pictures and your write-up. Congratulations on a wonderful creation and thanks so much for sharing your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE it ... and so would Mom. That pansy image certainly takes center stage here I loved seeing my purple and green plaid ribbon flower and the sparkly and crinkly leaves underneath it. Way to go. See? One (wo)man's junk, another (wo)man's treasures. Great job on this piece. Now make a match-y, match-y piece to go with it.
    SuZeQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - a really stunning canvas. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for visiting!